Monday, February 26, 2007

First Post

Hello and welcome to Pete's picks! Where each week I'll go out of my way to bring you the best of the best,.. or maybe just some trash I'm currently reading, one never knows. It's all fun and oh sooo good! My name is Peter Palmiotti (yes, brother of the amazing Jimmy Palmiotti - inker, writer and a great all around guy!) for those of you still living under a rock (no demerits for you, just be careful the next time we meet buddy!). To all that don't know me well...I'm more inclined than not to pick up a book just because of the art (being an inker and whatnot...geez do I really have to explain?) If you have a book you would like to submitt to Pete's Picks you can email me: peterlpalmiotti@yahoo.com make sure you put "Pete's Picks" in the subject line.
Ya gotta love it to read it so here it goes my friends, since this is worldwide, lets hope I get it right the first time or it's back of the class for me! EEEEK!
My first love has always been with Marvel (sorry...I'll get to everyone else in due time!) And what better Marvel title to start with then...(wait for it) ASTONISING X-MEN!!! published by Marvelcomics.

ASTONISING X-MEN
Issues 1-19 (I've read them all!)
So, does the art captivate me? is the storytelling there? Is it glorious? Yes, across the board! John Cassaday can draw rings around most of his fellow artists of today. He's got style and "throws punches" when it's called for. The story is "slow" due to (as I see it) two factors. 1) Because everything nowadays is getting collected into trades (6 issues re-printed in one book) so that the whole story has to play out in a set amount of pages rather than because the story flows as needed. And 2) because the writer wanted something that stood out from all the other X-titles and hype, so that it has a slightly more magna kind of feel to it storywise...sort-a. But regardless, Joss Whedon (creator of Buffy and writer of this here book.) along with John created something of their own as well as a fun and enjoyable read. Besides, (and lets face it)...if they (the creative team) really screw the story up, Marvel can always go back and change it after they're gone!
So to sum it up, pretty to look at AND fun to read!
Well that's it for now folks, more of a quick pick until I get more sophisticated at this (please bear with me.) I will start to really dig into the story as well as how well the creators work together once I get a few of these picks under my belt, I'm a man of few words in "real" life but I do have my insights into the telling of a good book, both visual as well as
words wise! Please join me next time and let me know what you think (if its good. HA!)

Peace out my comic peeps,.. this is Peter Pop signing off until next time!
Peter Palmiotti

No comments: