Friday, March 16, 2007

March Picks

Hello again and welcome back to Peter’s picks! I’ve been buried up to my eyeballs around this time with gearing up to and coming down from New York Comic Con but enough about me! This time around we got some independents to chat about,.. and because of that the following reviews will be a little more personal,.. because that’s the thing with Indy guys and gals…its there blood and tears, as well as their wallet on the line for books that may never pay them back in money but certainly in love! On with the comics!

INDY-FIED! PART ONE OF THREE PARTS (OR SO!)

Runners – Sean Wang - story, art, lettering, gray tones, and almost everything else! (except production assist. By Peggy Twardowski!) It is an Indy! Published by Serve Man Press! HA!

This is an all ages book, excellent for the whole family! I met Sean awhile ago and besides being a good guy just trying to make head way with his own book in this industry, he does a bang up job crafting a well read sci-fi story! It also holds within its covers some of the cleanest, crispiest ,sharpest , alien fun filled visuals I’ve seen in some time! Really well done art! (did I say?) Its a little Star wars, some futureama thrown in and just a tad of Smokey and the Bandit! Alien smugglers in a space faring adventure where the outlaws run wild! The first 5 issues have been collected in a beautiful bound trade with sparking pages to amaze and delight!
If I had to ask for anything, it would be …more! Four Stars and thumbs up! Go to www.seanwang.com and buy one…now…please!

Gearhead – Script - Dennis Hopeless Pencils – Kevin Mellon
Inks – Ed Herrera Colors – Alexey Strakhove
Published by Arcana Studios
I’ve met Dennis and Kevin at the New York con (got the whole gang of Arcana in our live interviews, coming soonage!!!) they are a couple of great guys. (even Kevin who said I couldn’t dance!!! Damn you! LOL!) and they may be fresh onto the comic scene but I have to admit a good book when I see one. I’m hooked! And you may ask whats so great about this book? A hot dragster who kicks butt for kicks is suddenly thrust into the superhero world, being hunted and taking up her fathers mantle as Gearhead! Not a book for the kiddies, this ones got bloody fighting and adult language. Dennis crafted a simple premise that leaves me wanting more. And a oh so beautifully drawn book as well from both Kevin and Ed! They bring us outstanding visuals to salivate over! I just love Kevin’s work (check the great cover!). If there was anything to complain about it would be the coloring,..while really nice, I would point it out as just a tad heavy.
Gearhead is part of my ‘books to pick up!’ so you know it must be good!
That’s it for this time,…more indys in the next installment of…………..Peter Palmiotti’s Powerful Picks!....uh….yeaaaah!

No comments: