Wednesday, August 1, 2007

august picks

Still working on the Indy theme of picks, here goes some more of those wacky independents,...

Marvel and DC may very well be the foundation of the comic book industry....but the Indy's are the house itself! (if that makes sense!?!)

First up is Vampires Unlimited, a book published by sort of newbie publisher but all around nice guy Bart Thompson and his company Apporation Comics.

So everyone loves vampires,..well me too! So I was pleased to give this one a read, here are some of my thoughts. I liked it,..and wish to read the next issue. The writing by Bart is fair but I felt it could have grabbed me better, there where elements that I thought seemed original and even exciting. but I'm wondering who these people are!?! A little more character in his characters would have added much to this first issue. I do realize that this is his epic, and much more is to be fleshed out and reveled.

The art by Paul Caesar and Tony Moreira while defiantly not top pro quality,was good. I do look forward to see how they develop as a team with a few more issue under their belts. I it, liked but needs a good editor as 'they' say! (perhaps Bart will ask me....it could happen!) So yeah,...not a bad job...a 6 out of ten to be much more specific.

So here we go again with another book from comic publisher Arcana (they seem to be growing recently!) With a book called American Wasteland! (only bad things can be inside with a name like that!)

First let me mention that the writer/creator mister R.D.Hall himself, was one of many that Mark and myself interviewed at the 2007 New York Comic Con,...and those interviews will be put up on the website somewhere down the line.

Jerron (our webmaster) has done a fabulous job putting the site together,...but we are all learning how to do everything we do here at The Comic book Novice (I myself am so far behind in doing these Picks...just ask Mark) Well enough with the boo-hoo's,.. on with the picks!

Writer R.D. Hall with artists Mark Kidwell, Tony Bledsoe and Jay Fotos (who did what?....beats me.) Have created a dark world of the vampires ( I sense a theme),.. hillbilly's and shots of whiskey (or beer if you'd prefer!) Very much done in the dark comedy vein with lots of creepy ugly dudes lead by most-est ugly dude and top dead man, Johnny Copperhead! A very enjoyable b-movie tale, with visuals that really look as if done by only one artist. I do have it in the know that artist Andrew Mangum joins the team with issue two,... I'm really looking forward to watching him cut lose with his art. Andrew (yes....a buddy of mine on myspace!) is a new talent on the verge of blowing up,... so keep your eyes pealed! (it all guns and guts and laughs a plenty. Pick it up,... you won't be let down.

A very new publisher to the game,.. with the potential to really impact it in a way that hasn't been done since Cross-gen. (maybe a bad example,.. but a lot of what cross-gen started as well as most of the artists and writers are a good part of today's comics and their look. ..well I think so.) So who am I talking about....I'm talking about Virgin Comics, headed by Sir Richard Branson with (as if he himself isn't enough) Deepak Chopra (guru himself), and his son Shekhar Chopak. There on a mission folks,.. and they got the top talent to make it happen! The book I was given (by Mark Mazz,..a recommended read...he said.) is Guy Ritchie's Game Keeper!

So the deal is Guy Richie (Snatch, Lock stock and two smoking barrels fame) along with Andy Diggle (losers for vertigo, and much else) created a rich history for the main character and rich cast. I almost don't want to give it away,..let me say it a really good read along with slightly manga painted pages by Mukesh Singh. The colors are rich and vibrant. The story telling and pacing are great,.. its an action adventure. The writers (Andy does write based on Guy concepts,.. but there is a back and forth with them bouncing ideas as well as character and story development.) they know how to grab you, and how to unfold a story. Go check it out.

So lastly, I have in my sweaty big hands (I know what your thinking,... bad, bad!) is a mini graphic novel by our good friends at Image comics called simply.........She-dragon! Written By creator Eric Larson (I just dig his love for comics,.. and mostly they where the comics I grew up reading...yes, yes! Back in the day,...we'll leave it at that! LOL!!!)

So here Eric with new talent Franchesco (the dude who did the Chosen Few promo piece! An amazing job... and nice inks! Hehe!) Spin a tale of high adventure and comedy as only She-dragon can pull off. I you enjoy Eric's work, Franchesco's truly gorgeous women,.... uhh, art! Or just crazy zany other worldly meatballs...then this ones for you!!!

So,.. this marks the end of yet another Pete's Picks....please do check out as many of these books as possibly. With the Internet life is that much easier to go see art and even buy some of these bad boys, the independents love and need your support! Tell em' Petey Pop set ya! ...slater!

No comments: